Braveheart Liberia is a humanitarian project based in The Sugar Hill Peace Community, Montserrado County, Liberia. Stretching nearly 2000 square kilometers, Montserrado County houses nearly 33% of Liberia's total population with inhabitants of over 1 million people. Employment is very scarce and is mainly made up of farming and small scale local trades. Nearly 80% of this population are described as vulnerable by a recent food security and nutrition survey and only 17% of households have a salaried income.
Braveheart Liberia have been supporting the community for over a decade. In 2015, Braveheart Liberia purchased an acre of land to develop into a sustainable living project for the community of Sugar Hill.
The first property was erected for over 20 members of the "G" family who were previously living in very poor conditions on the outskirts of the city. They shared one room, had no running water or sanitation and the children had no access to any education.
Since its completion in 2016, Braveheart Liberia has now welcomed over 20 extended family members into this project. Grandma G, her adult children and their children now call this place home. They live at the project free of charge, the older children go to school in the local village.
Braveheart Liberia hope to begin the second project later this year (2017) to build a community center, small medical clinic and additional dwelling space to help more families like the G's.
In partnership with Braveheart Liberia, Big Love Family Projects will commit to raise funds to support the following specific components of their next project:
- Installing a reservoir and hand pump to provide the families with permanent access to running water US$1500
- Installing a generator and pump room to connect the property to electricity US$900
- Purchasing a motorbike for the G family to enable transport to and from school (they currently walk 40 minutes each way) and use as a further income stream to taxi passengers in the village US$2000
- Purchasing live stock to create a sustainable living option for ongoing income and source of food US$1000
- Providing a security fence around the land to secure live stock and crops US$2000
- Provide furniture including beds, sofas, tables and basic kitchen equipment US$950
- Provide paint for the internal walls US$350
- Provide mosquito nets for all rooms, windows and doors US$150